Should war photography be taken and seen by mass public?
What are the benefits of war photography?
Is war photography art?
Should war photography be taken and seen by mass public?
I believe that yes we should all be able to see what is going on in the actual war zone, even if that means humanizing the enemy we are fighting. The fact of the matter is we aren't just fighting a distance species from the planet XyeShje we are fighting our own kind, humans. We are so desensitized when going into war. The media and government paint the picture that the enemy is pure evil and will do anything to harm you, and usually that is not the case and war photography brings those things to life. It allows us to relate the the enemy at a pure human level and allows us to feel some amount of compassion for the men and women of other countries that have perished by the blade of war. I have the opinion that war should always be the last step for any situation, for any country, at any time. War at its roots is evil, sick, and dark and the American public is not always as keen to that observation. If we all knew that our brothers and sisters were dying for something that could of been solved diplomatically, then our opinion on any war that we ventured into would of been greatly changed. War us sometimes necessary, but only should we rarely used. If we as a society can see the dark side of war that is brought out by war photography, I think that world would be a better place.
I like what you said about war being a last effort approach. I also agree with you that we do not look at our enemies as humans anymore. As difficult as it is to see some of the war images, I think it sometimes is necessary to see gruesome pictures in order to evoke change.
ReplyDelete