Friday, February 22, 2013

Torture

How can someone justify drowning someone?

Is the information that one gets out of water boarding reliable?

Should the US use water boarding as a technique to get information?

I believe that water boarding should not be used by any American to get information out of anyone. If we hold ourselves to the standard that we as a nation are against torture then how in our right minds can we stand by waterboarding? This technique has been used on so many in the last decade and it really goes against everything we stand and fight for. There is a reason why a cop cannot search one's home without a warrant, or arrest someone and take them away with out a trial. Even though it was the best thing at the time we have set a precident because we know that that value is important enough to keep. Shouldn't we do the same with torture? That value on another person should stay the same with lines at home in the United States. It isn't just the fact that we are drowning people, its the fact that we are drowning our values and to me that is just real not okay with being an American. Having said all those things i know that I have not been on the front lines of battle and I cannot speak for our military on exactly what needs to be done. Maybe we can only allow waterboarding on occasions in which there in an imminent threat but there is still that slippery slope on which our ideals slide away. To conclude this we need to really as a nation decide what is more important, the fight against terrorism of the fight for our ideals, the war against the evil, or the war against ourselves? Those questions need to be answered in a thoughtful way of seeing the whole picture, not just stopping terrorism or defending our freedoms but everything that goes along with that.

2 comments:

  1. I think you make an interesting point about an unwarranted search/arrest. Whether or not the evidence is there, an officer still has to follow the correct protocol. As frustrating as that can be, I think it is important that we have laws set up to protect us- whether we are right or wrong. And I think it does make an interesting parallel in regards to terrorism. Maybe the United Nations needs to come up with a cohesive plan that all nations abide by when interrogating people (if that's even possible). It is hard for me to come up with a definite opinion when it comes to terrorism, but I like what you said about not letting our morals/ideals slip away.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you, I also agree that someone global body should set a list if rules that nations should but do not have to live by.

    ReplyDelete